Associate Director Philanthropy and External Affairs
The Associate Director supports all external‐facing activities of the
organization, including government & foundation relations, fund development,
marketing/communications, and strategic partnerships. Together with other team members, the position will be charged with meeting Better Tomorrows’ fundraising and external engagement goals by cultivating and managing key relationships, preparing and submitting requests for funding, assisting with planning and strategy development, and providing advice and support to national office and community‐based staff on external engagement opportunities.
This position is based in Camden, NJ.
Please provide salary requirement in your cover letter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Manage a portfolio of existing relationships, consisting primarily of regional funders across
the country. Develop and maintain a stewardship calendar for all key external relationships.
2) Cultivate new relationships with potential supporters, including individual, corporate and
foundation funding prospects. Identify, research and lead outreach on new strategic
partnerships. Maintain an active professional network and pursue connections that may
benefit organizational goals.
3) Responsible for annual assigned revenue goal.
4) Proposal development and grantwriting. Lead the preparation and submission of LOIs,
proposals, and funding applications for current and prospective funders. Coordinate efforts
of internal contributors (programs, finance, evaluation, leadership). Contribute to proposals,
reports and engagement documents being developed by staff.
5) Strategy and planning. Contribute to the development of the organization’s external relations
and fundraising plans. Maintain a calendar of key milestones and activities. Provide
coordination and support as needed.
6) Support external engagement efforts of the CEO, the Vice President, and other leadership.
This will include conducting research and preparing briefings; advising on engagement
strategy; coordinating preliminary and follow‐up communications; and accompanying
leadership and other staff to meetings.
7) Prospect Research and Development; devise research strategies and methods to gather
information pertaining to current donors and prospects and to identify new donor prospects.
8) Manage donor data base and manage in collaboration with finance team staff performing gift
entry and gift acknowledgements. Effectively use donor data and analytics to improve
resource development activities.
9) Advise and support community‐based staff on local partner engagement and fundraising
activities. This will include: review of applications and proposals, editing as required;
answering questions about fundraising and partner engagement; training staff in the basics
of external engagement through presentations, phone consultations, webinars or site visits.
10) Collaborate with the Grants Management, Finance and Operations, & Community Impact
staff to ensure that grants are implemented according to funder intentions and meet
organizational expectations. Ensure on‐time delivery of reports and other required
11) Stewardship. Collaborate with the Vice President, Program, Marketing and others to ensure
effective, motivating communications with supporters and stakeholders, including
institutional funders and individual donors.
12) Travel regionally and nationally as necessary to represent organization at selected
conferences and external events, including visiting funders. Participate in Annual Meeting,
including by making presentations in areas of expertise.
Please cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
Pre-employment checks are required before employment can begin.
Better Tomorrows is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey (UWGPSNJ) recently announced that it...
AUGUST 21, 2018 | BETTER TOMORROWS: AmeriCorps have been serving our residents at Charter Arms,...